The DTGH (Develop the Good Heart) program’s intention is to develop the good heart in children 1st-5th grade by teaching values and ethics. The name comes after our teacher Lama Zopa Rinpoche’s addressing over and over the importance of developing the good heart in children as a means to obtain a happy life by being of benefit to others.
It will include fun, creative and meaningful activities as well as meditation techniques, Yoga Music (YoMu), Animal flow, mindfulness and arts and crafts. The program will also have off site field trips, offering Random Acts of Kindness (RACK) activities in our community to inspire, empower, act and share their knowledge. This year we will focus on 8 of the 16 guidelines for a Happy Life.
The Botanical Garden of Miami Beach will also host our Family Fun Days (FFD), which will be open to the general public. We encourage all families to come, so together, we can have fun and help build a kind and mindful community. (Sundays 10am-1pm: October 9th, December 11th, February 12th, and April 23rd)
We are happy to announce that the theme for our first Family Fun Day on October 9th is Mandalas and Interconnectedness!
1) Miss Teresa, certified in Vinyasa Yoga and Lower Elementary Directress at Casa dei Bambini Elementary School, she will lead lessons encompassing mindfulness activities, meditation techniques and present the guidelines through literature and various activities./volunteer
2) Cynthia Zak will lead her well known program YoMu (Yoga Music) described below. /volunteer
3) Kathy Donatto, Animal Flow (body movement awareness) will compliment the 16 guidelines by waking the senses of students, through the exploration of movement and gesture. /volunteer
4) Maria Cersosimo Program Coordinator and support during class/fieldtrips RACK/volunteer
5) Ana Paula Ruano Program Coordinator and support during class/fieldtrips RACK/volunteer
6) Lamis Olsen –Family Fun Days coordinator / volunteer
THE FOLLOWING IS A DESCRIPTION FOR EACH PROGRAM
DTGH – Based on the 16 Guidelines for a Happy Life
The DTGH program is based on the 16 Guidelines for a Happy Life and will be taught over a consecutive two year period. The method includes 8 of the 16 guidelines during this school year and are outlined below. The program will encompass literature, various activities, mindfulness and meditation techniques.
YoMu is a unique program that combines the beauty of yoga, meditation techniques, breathing and mindfulness with the power of live music. The class will explore partner poses, games, rhythm, body percussion and songs to enhance attention, kindness, peaceful emotions, focus, body awareness, communication and trust. Come ready to play, dance and sing.
YogaMusic provides ethnic instruments, books, percussion, sound exploration and original puppets to make each class a one of a kind experience!
Facilitator: Cynthia Zak
Animal Flow is a ground-based body weight practice that combines crawling, yoga, martial arts and mimics animal movements. Animal Flow will bring students back to their very first movement patterns. They will learn to reconnect with the Earth, focusing on the flow of energy throughout their bodies. Students will experience fun, laughter and lots of movement!
Facilitator: Kathy Donatto
Namdrol Ling Study Group is devoted to develop the good heart in children and adults. The Random Acts of Kindness (RACK) component is essentially putting the work of the program into practice. By participating in selfless acts, students are given the opportunity to spread love and generosity within the community.
Imagine a world.
Where people look out for each other.
Where we all pay it forward.
Where success is measured in selfless acts.
Where kindness is the philosophy of life.
Classes will be held on Tuesday’s from 4:00-5:30 pm on the following days:
2016 (FALL SESSION)
- HUMILITY: September 13th, 20th, 27th
- PATIENCE: October 4th, 11th, 25th
- CONTENTMENT: November 1st, 8th, 15th
- FIELD TRIP, RANDOM ACTS OF KINDNESS: November 22nd
- DELIGHT: December 6th, 13th
2017 (SPRING SESSION)
- DELIGHT: January 10th
- KINDNESS: January 17th, 24th– Venerable Amy Miller will be our special guest teacher- January 31st
- KINDNESS: February 7th.
- FIELD TRIP, RANDOM ACTS OF KINDNESS (RACK ) February 14th
- HONESTY: February 21th, 28TH, March 7th
- GENEROSITY: March 14th –
- SPRING BREAK – NO CLASSES HELD ON March 21st, 28th, April 4th and 11th
- GENEROSITY: April 18th, 25th
- RIGHT SPEECH: May 2nd, 9th, May 16th
- REJOICING DAY!: May 23rd – LAST DAY OF CLASS-
Location for Develop the Good Heart program:
CASA DEI BAMBINI NORMANDY CAMPUS
2200 Verdun Dr. Miami Beach , FL 33141